We started on this path back in 1993, with the decision of the Assembly to join the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, i.e. NATO.
- In April 1997 we started with the PARP process, while we received the NATO membership candidate status in 1999 at the NATO Summit in Washington.
- In August 2002, for the first time, with two peacekeepers in the ISAF mission in Afghanistan, the Army started participating in NATO-led missions.
- Finally, at the Summit in Brussels in July 2018, we were officially invited to start the accession negotiations for NATO membership.
- A few days after the invitation to the 57th session of the Assembly of the Republic of North Macedonia, the Declaration in support of the NATO accession process was adopted.
- The NATO accession protocol was signed on 6 February 2019, and after only one week on 13 and 14 February 2019, the Minister of Defence, Radmila Shekerinska, participated for the first time on a meeting of the North Atlantic Council.
- The process of ratification of the accession protocol in the Parliaments of all 29 allies was completed with a really fast pace, after which, in February, the President and Supreme Commander of the Army, Stevo Pendarovski, signed the Decree promulgating the Law on Ratification of the North Atlantic Treaty, and on 20 March 2020 he signed the Instrument for North Macedonia’s accession to NATO.
- On 27 March 2020, the Republic of North Macedonia, together with the most powerful!. We officially became a full-fledged member of the largest military political alliance in the world – NATO.
- Today, the flag of the Republic of North Macedonia is waved in front of NATO Headquarters in Brussels, in the Allied Command Operations in SHAPE – Mons and the Allied Command Transformation in Norfolk, Virginia, and North Macedonia, as a full-fledged member, participates in all processes and activities of the most powerful military political alliance of today.
Today (Saturday, 27 March) in the Ilinden barracks in Skopje, beginning at 11 am, a central ceremony will be held to mark the first anniversary of the membership of North Macedonia in the NATO – Alliance.
The ceremony will be addressed by President Stevo Pendarovski, Prime Minister Zoran Zaev, Minister of Defence Radmila Shekerinska and the Commander of Allied Joint Force Command Naples, Admiral Robert Burke.
The ceremony will include several demonstration exercises and activities of the Army, including the overflight of Greek aircraft as part of the “Air Policing” mission, together with helicopters of the Macedonian Air Force, a military exercise of the Army Guard, line-up and march of echelons from the units that participated in NATO-led missions, including members of the Light Infantry Battalion.
The media that will cover the event are expected to arrive at the Ilinden barracks by 10:00 AM.